Sign my Guestbook 

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Three Roys in Cambodia

Yesterday, to my great delight, Tyler and Katie emerged from Pochentong Airport customs and into my life in Cambodia. They are here for two full weeks to enjoy some time with me and to learn about my surrogate home for six months.

They arrived at 10am Saturday after having left Atlanta at 6:30pm Thursday, which sounds horrendously long. But after you realize the 13 hour difference in time and crossing the International Dateline, you come to understand it was only a shade under 24 hours travel time – only semi-horrendous.

 
Posted by Picasa


Tyler and Katie have always been great travelers. Tyler went on a cruise ship in the Caribbean when he was just three months old and Katie went on her first international trip to the United Kingdom when she was just 15 months. Since then they have traveled so many places, including the typical suspects near America, like Mexico and Canada, as well as extensively in the USA. But international trips include the UK several times, Ireland, France, Mexico; and South Africa, Australia & New Zealand (Tyler), Spain (Katie). Now Cambodia. Tyler, soon to be Japan.

Hmmm…when I was 21 years old I had been to Canada when I was 9 years old and that’s it!

I’m really glad they’re here. They are such fun and easy to travel with. Whatever comes their way they adapt and roll with new challenges that pop up. We’re on our way tomorrow to Siem Reap, which is the gateway to the Angkor temple complex, which is over 70 square miles of nearly 300 temple ruins from about 800 to 1300a.d. Simply magnificent. The granddaddy of all is Angkor Wat, which is the largest single religious complex in the world, even bigger than the Vatican. The picture at the very bottom of the blog is one of Angkor Wat, which I took back in January.

We’ll stay there for two days and then take a very long but scenic boat ride to Battambang, a town I’ve written about on the blog on several occasions. We’ll spend two nights there as well. I’ll be working during the day while they are out and about exploring. I’ll join them after work hours to explore as well, but since I’ve seen much of what they are about to see I’ll be able to give good advice on what to see.

I’ll have plenty of pics to share with you next time, as well as tell you more about amazing Angkor.

No comments: